Sunday, March 25, 2012

Who thought this was a good marketing?

One day, I got a phone call from a number that I didn't recognize. The number looked like it's from the USA (and I live in Canada) so I had a suspicion that it might be a spam call.

Right on!

As soon as I picked it up, I heard a loud cruise ship horn sound followed by an automatic message starting with "Hello, ...". I just hung up. I don't even know what cruise company is behind that spam call because I didn't bother listening to it.


It was not my first time receiving this call. I probably got this call about 3~4 times in the past year. The marketing is definitely not working for me. It's not working for my (previous) co-workers either. I remember talking to people who received that phone call and they, surely, were annoyed by that.


Not only did they start the call with the annoying cruise ship horn sound, but they also put an automated message which we can't interact with anyway. This makes me want to avoid this company rather than making me want to book a cruise trip with them.


Marketing should be integrated into every aspect of the company. If a customer gets a phone call, it's a marketing. When a customer visits your website, it's a marketing. If your employee talks about the work life at your company, it's a marketing, too. And the list goes on... If people get positive experience from those things, I bet the company would get a lot more customers without having to spam people with annoying calls, which might actually have the opposite effect of what they intended.


No comments: